Saturday, November 04, 2006

Warbird! - N905BB

Don Black (N905BB)

I purchased 208 # 546, ( in very poor condition) in 2006, and re-registered it as N905BB. Following intensive research, for which I now have an excellent library, I am about halfway through an honest re-creation of BB905, one of the lost Biafra Babies.

My work follows the history of these ships that has been published, as well as by one of the pilots of the era. Further, my neighbor was a relief pilot at that time, flying KC96s and DC7s into Biafra with food and flying out with wartime orphan children. Biafran history has been fascinating for me, considering that the country existed only 3 years.

In Florida, we have high ambient temperatures year around between 85 and 105 degrees F. The Junior's airfoil is not exactly ideal for this kind of application. Density Altitudes are always high. My solution was to replace the O-200 with the latest Continental IO-240B powerplant. It can be seen in some of the fotos.


The conversion is not merely a transplant, and has required some engineering solutions. The 125 hp should be ideal. I had studied the 3300 Jabiru, which would have been a better choice actually, but they were not delivering at the time and I had to make my decision.

No comments: